Monday, November 10, 2008

FRUSTRATED!!!


How many times have you had the missionaries over for dinner and they have ended the meal with a message about finding people for them to teach? Always, right? Well, I finally did it. I invited our great neighbor Kerry over for dinner last night with the missionaries. I even talked to the missionaries a week before so they knew what I was doing and asked them to schedule some extra time after dinner so we could talk.

Well I stressed about it all week and was really kind of excited about it too. The night finally came and dinner went really pretty well. (I burned the rolls, but, oh well, not much I can do about that.) The missionaries didn't bring up anything religious during dinner, which was fine too, because I knew we had extra time after for that. As dinner was getting over Nate asked what time they had to leave and it was right then. I was shocked, but didn't want to say anything in front of Kerry. I asked them for a spiritual thought even a 30 second thought before they left and they wouldn't even do that! I was lucky to get a prayer before they left!!!

After they left my plan B was to watch the "Testaments" DVD so we had something religious to talk about. Well, I guess we watched it on Nate's laptop at some point and he accidentally took it to work. So we couldn't even do that.

Talk about frustrating!!! I had really worked hard to set this opportunity up, and it is not something that comes easily for me at all. Now, I'm back to square one and have to come up with another opportunity to talk about the gospel.

Kerry, if you ever chance to read this, please know we really enjoyed your company and are very glad you came.

6 comments:

Bonnie the Boss said...

Silly 19 year old boys!!!! Sheesh!

Brewer Bunch said...

I can't believe that!!! What were those missionaries thinking???! I'm with you - I would have been SO FRUSTRATED!!
I so hope it can somehow come together again soon!

Lisa J said...

Oh, I so totally know how you feel! Monte had invited 4 friends of ours from El Salvador to meet with the missionaries a few weeks ago. So our friends brought over some food and the missionaries showed up and ate with us, then about 1/2 hour later, the missionaries announced that they had to be home by 9:00 (this was 8:40) and needed to go! Without saying anything to our friends about the church. Anything!

Can you imagine us being missionaries over in Scotland and actually having 4 people interested in hearing the discussions (and then they actually kept the appointment) and us being all "Oh, sorry, we have to be home in 20 minutes." I would've stayed there as long as I needed to.

Okay, rant = over. :)

Me, Myself and I said...

I'm so sorry! You put in a lot of work... and, thanks guys, geesh. I would also like to know what they were thinking! Were they so famished they thought it might be their last meal? Even if they did, Jesus used his last meal to teach. I'm frustrated too.

Heather Bowles said...

Well I don't know if it is still the same missionaries I feed a couple weeks ago but I told mitch I would never feed those two missionaries again. They were so I don't know almost rude, they carried on there own conversation between each other about the other places they had been and did not even say hardly one word to us about anything church. I was shocked and so was mitch, he said he would have never done that on his mission. A few other things happened and I was just thinking did nobody teach you manners. Lets just say it was wierd.

Jogusboy said...

One thing to say about those missionaries. uh- HELOOOO are you out of your minds?

cheez.

and it was just bad luck about the dvd.

super sorry.

because i know how nerveracking it is to invite somebody to talk about church.

ps- i can't believe all the stories you got about careless misionaries. and now i see a bunch of missionaries doing silly,comedy clips on youtube.


seriously!!

it's good to see missionaries really helping to bring the gospel to a boy in my neighberhood, it gives me faith in all LDS 19 year old boys.

sorry extremely long comment over.