Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Fifth Grade Math kicked my...


Holy Cow! Last night I was going over Jman's math homework and realized he didn't understand how to do a big part of his assignment so he had to start over. I sat with him during the entire assignment and it took us an hour and a half! When on earth did 5th grade math get so time consuming! There were so many steps involved in each problem and trying to make a TIRED 10 year old's mind think was a challenge. (The fact that I didn't know exactly what they were looking for on a few questions didn't help.) But after report cards came home I've found that this will now get to be my nightly ritual. Lucky me!

I want my 5th grade math where we learned what a hexagon was and how to do times tables really fast. Good grief!

3 comments:

Heather Bowles said...

Umhhh, I agree. I think Korben's Kindergarten work is what I learned in 2nd grade. Hopefully Mitch gets done with school soon because it is looking like he is going to be my kids only hope.

Julie said...

Please tell my your district is not doing the Investigations Math Program? I taught that in the Alpine School District - and it was a nightmare!

Anonymous said...

This excellent phrase is necessary just by the way