Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Boo and gymnastics

Okay, after reading that last post, I thought I'd better tell some fun things that Boo has done. Note to reader, there will be much bragging in this post so feel free to stop reading at any time.

Boo is really talented when it comes to tumbling. (Mom talking of course.) She took tumbling classes through our city rec. department for a couple of months. She started in the 3 and 4 year old class. I realized this might be a problem when several kids in the class couldn't do a forward role, and one was crying because she had to take her socks off. Boo had just about mastered her cartwheels.

I wanted to move her up to the 5-7 year class and the teacher said okay, but thought she'd still be the best in her class. I think it really frustrated the other kids in the class when Boo would win every contest the teacher had.

In January I decided maybe it was time to try gymnastics. I dreaded moving from paying $30.00 a month to the $45.00 they charged, but decided it was worth it.

After the first week Boo was right on track with what all the other kids were doing, even though they'd been going since September. After the second week of classes her coach pulled me aside and said she wanted to put Boo on her pre-competition team. This would involve practices two nights a week from 4:00 until 6:00p.m and would cost $85.00 per month. Wow!

I was floored! I'd always thought she was good, but I'd also thought I was just a proud mother. Having the head of a big gymnastics club tell you that was very flattering. In the back of my head I'm thinking $85.00 a month for my FOUR year old!?! I really want to encourage her and I'd love to see how far she can go, but I was really stressing over it.

Finally I went to Boo and said, "Boo, which do you like better preschool or gymnastics?"
"Preschool!"
"Which do you like better, gymnastics or swimming lessons?"
"Swimming lessons!"
"Which do you like better, dance class or gymnastics?"
"Dance class!"

Well we decided that she can stay in the class she's in for now, and we will see how it goes. It's still fun to know that she really is as good as I thought she was.

No comments: