Sunday, September 11, 2011

     I haven't posted in a very long time, but I had some strong feelings this morning and I needed to share.
Our Boy Scouts put flags out on all the Patriotic holidays for a fundraiser.  It is wonderful to see them waving in the breeze and feel the patriotism it brings out in each person that sees them.

     As a general rule, we don't work for gain on Sunday, the Sabbath day.  This year our Bishop asked the boys to put the flags out today, 9/11.  At first I was a little shocked by this request, but the more I thought about it the more I felt honored to be able to help.  My son's scout master said he considered it more of a service than a fundraiser and I agreed.


     As we went out on this beautiful morning my mind was full of images from 9/11 and all the horror, and bravery that encompassed that day.  With tears in my eyes "God Bless America" came on the radio as I helped my son post each flag.  I was overwhelmed with love for my country, those that lost loved ones that day, and all those who valiantly serve our country each and every day.   I am so grateful for their sacrifice on my behalf.

   
    At almost the last house at which we posted a flag, a gentleman stuck his head out the window and thanked us for coming.  He said he wasn't sure we were going to do them today, and was glad we did.  He paused for a moment and then said, "I knew one of the firemen killed that day.  I went to high school with him."  At that moment I knew we were exactly where we should have been doing exactly what we should have been doing.  All though this service was infinitely smaller than many perform daily, for one person at least, it meant a whole lot. 


   

3 comments:

Me, Myself and I said...

That is a great post. So many memories and emotions today.

Bonnie the Boss said...

great post!! I really tried to help my kids think about what happened and why and what could be learned from that day. I really wish our ward did the flags.

Anonymous said...

Heather,

Haven't talked to you in forever, but tonight I checked out your blog and was so happy to see a new post. It was great and stirred those patriotic feelings in me that I had that day. Isn't it great that the gospel gives us opportunities to feel that way about our country and you set such a great example for your son as you helped. Good job, Mom!
Love you guys, Mom Bardwell